Oxford Road Station, Manchester, is at the junction of Whitworth Street West and Oxford Street. It opened in 1849 and was rebuilt in 1960.
The station is notable for its laminated wood structures and was Grade II listed in 1995. English Heritage describes it as a “building of outstanding architectural quality and technological interest; one of the most dramatic stations in England.
The station had become dilapidated by the 1950s, and in connection with the electrification and modernisation programme of the Manchester to London line in 1960, the old buildings were replaced by the current structure by architects William Robert Headley and Max Clendinning and structural engineer Hugh Tottenham. It was designed in a distinctive style in concrete and wood with curves bringing to mind the Sydney Opera House.
The station is a grade II listed building.